[PyKDE] branching, PyKDE major versions

Patrick Stinson patrickkidd at gci.net
Fri Jul 15 19:17:07 BST 2005

I am curious. I have noticed, or it has been brought to my attention,
that it it has become a bit unusual that the PyQt source package
supports all versions of qt, back to 2.3. In the interest of writing
sip code for qt 4, Is there any particular reason why all qt versions
are supported in one package? wouldn't it be a good idea to branch
the project at least at major versions?

It looks to me like there are enough symantic differences in qt4 that
now would be a good time to consider such a change. The reason I'm
bringing this up is that the thought had crossed my mind to help in
writing some of the sip code for qt4, but having looked at the <=3
code (size, version compensation, and I'm a little reluctant to. If
we were looking at schlepping sip code from pyqt3.x to  pyqt4.x, and
writing appropriate new code, it would look a little more attractive.

just thoughts, curiousity.

thanks!