[PyKDE] Supported architectures?

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk
Mon Jan 31 14:59:18 GMT 2005

> Hi,
>
> I'm the current maintainer of the pyKDE, pyQt and sip ports (*) for
> FreeBSD. I
> recently updated the port to allow it to build for KDE > 3.3.0 (I stuck to
> the stable realeased tarball and just had the port's Makefile rename the
> few
> diff files and such where needed).
>
> FreeBSD has the Tier 1 archs of i386, Sparc64, AMD64, and PC98 and the
> Tier 2
> archs of Alpha, PowerPC and ia64. These are the platforms for which build
> clusters are used, also for ports and resulting packages. Periodically
> (one
> sooner than the other) packages are built on all these archs and problem
> reports sent to port maintainers. Recently I was informed by our
> "pointyhat"
> build system that it didn't compile on alpha. The good news is that AFAICT
> on
> the build cluster i386, ia64, amd64, and sparc64 are OK. Of course I only
> have i386 here :)
>
> So I was wondering, are there any archs other than i386 formally
> supported? I
> noticed that for alpha and many others no Linux distribution provides any
> binary packages. I noticed that Gentoo supports ppc and x86 (which is I
> guess
> also ia64 and amd64?).

Strictly speaking, no platform is *formally* supported. My own development
environments are amd64, i386 and Windows XP. Ulli Berning does a fantastic
job of making sure PyQt builds on HP-UX and AIX, so I have high confidence
in those platforms. I also have confidence in MacOS/X because there are
enough people using it who would say if there were problems.

> FYI, below is the build error I got sent. It looks to me because of
> differing
> size of some C types on that platform or something alike. Anyway, I can
> set
> the FreeBSD port marked broken ("Does not compile on <arch>" or so) for
> unsupported archs, so would it be a good idea to do so at least for alpha
> (some other archs might be reported broken at a later time, as they are
> not
> built for so frequently)?
>
> Error msg building the port on alpha:
> c++ -c -Wno-deprecated-declarations -pipe -fPIC -O -pipe -mcpu=ev4 -mieee
> -Wall -W -D_THREAD_SAFE -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -I.
> -I../extra/kde332 -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/include/python2.4
> -I/usr/X11R6/include -o moc_sipkdecorepart0.o moc_sipkdecorepart0.cpp
> c++ -shared -pthread -Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/lib -Wl,-rpath,/usr/X11R6/lib
> -o
> kdecore.so sipkdecorepart0.o moc_sipkdecorepart0.o -L/usr/local/lib
> -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lkdecore -lqt-mt -lXext -lX11 -lm
> /usr/libexec/elf/ld: sipkdecorepart0.o: .got subsegment exceeds 64K (size
> 67720)
> /usr/libexec/elf/ld: failed to set dynamic section sizes: File format not
> recognized
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /tmp/a/ports/x11-toolkits/py-kde/work/PyKDE-3.11.3/kdecore.
> *** Error code 1

There is probably a linker flag that needs to be passed to increase the
size of a table. AIX has similar issues and the build system include
special handling for it. If you can work out what's needed then I'm happy
to add it to the build system.