[PyKDE] Supported architectures?

Danny Pansters danny at ricin.com
Mon Jan 31 00:04:52 GMT 2005

Hi,

I'm the current maintainer of the pyKDE, pyQt and sip ports (*) for FreeBSD. I
recently updated the port to allow it to build for KDE > 3.3.0 (I stuck to
the stable realeased tarball and just had the port's Makefile rename the few
diff files and such where needed).

FreeBSD has the Tier 1 archs of i386, Sparc64, AMD64, and PC98 and the Tier 2
archs of Alpha, PowerPC and ia64. These are the platforms for which build
clusters are used, also for ports and resulting packages. Periodically (one
sooner than the other) packages are built on all these archs and problem
reports sent to port maintainers. Recently I was informed by our "pointyhat"
build system that it didn't compile on alpha. The good news is that AFAICT on
the build cluster i386, ia64, amd64, and sparc64 are OK. Of course I only
have i386 here :)

So I was wondering, are there any archs other than i386 formally supported? I
noticed that for alpha and many others no Linux distribution provides any
binary packages. I noticed that Gentoo supports ppc and x86 (which is I guess
also ia64 and amd64?).

FYI, below is the build error I got sent. It looks to me because of differing
size of some C types on that platform or something alike. Anyway, I can set
the FreeBSD port marked broken ("Does not compile on <arch>" or so) for
unsupported archs, so would it be a good idea to do so at least for alpha
(some other archs might be reported broken at a later time, as they are not
built for so frequently)?

Error msg building the port on alpha:
c++ -c -Wno-deprecated-declarations -pipe -fPIC -O -pipe -mcpu=ev4 -mieee
-Wall -W -D_THREAD_SAFE -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -I.
-I../extra/kde332 -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/include/python2.4
-I/usr/X11R6/include -o moc_sipkdecorepart0.o moc_sipkdecorepart0.cpp
c++ -shared -pthread -Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/lib -Wl,-rpath,/usr/X11R6/lib -o
kdecore.so sipkdecorepart0.o moc_sipkdecorepart0.o -L/usr/local/lib
-L/usr/X11R6/lib -lkdecore -lqt-mt -lXext -lX11 -lm
/usr/libexec/elf/ld: sipkdecorepart0.o: .got subsegment exceeds 64K (size
67720)
/usr/libexec/elf/ld: failed to set dynamic section sizes: File format not
recognized
*** Error code 1

Stop in /tmp/a/ports/x11-toolkits/py-kde/work/PyKDE-3.11.3/kdecore.
*** Error code 1

Please note that I have no alpha hardware to test on myself.

Best regards,

Dan

-- Please CC me, I look at the archives regularly but am not subscribed --