[PyKDE] putting eric 3.6 on a knoppix (debian) cd (qscintilla compilation problem)

kim gerdes kim.gerdes at u-bordeaux3.fr
Wed Jan 26 17:41:04 GMT 2005

hi there,

i tried to get a knoppix going with eric3 (to teach basic python programming in
a non equipped room)

i manage to install an eric 3.5.0 with apt-get but i just can't compile the
latest versions (or use qscintilla) !

here's what i tried (without really knowing what i'm doing  - i'm learning to
use debian at the same time...):

1.installing these deb packages:
	lots of libqt3-xxx
	Qt3 Designer (3.3.3)
	libqscintilla4 (1.3-1)  in fact i don't know if this is right, because there is
no « qscintilla » package. libqscintilla4 = qscintilla ???

	the problem might be that this version (1.3) : it says on the eric3 webpage
that i need QScintilla 1.0 or higher. in the install.py script for eric3.6
however, it needs QScintilla 1.4 or higher. that might screw up things...

sip4 (4.1.1-1), python-sip4-qt3 (4.1.1-1) and  python-sip4-dev
python-qtext, python2.3-qtext (3.13-4)
strangely enough, i can't install the python-pyqt (2.5-4) package because it
needs a python < 2.2

so when i try to install eric3 now, it tells me :
Sorry, you must have QScintilla 1.4 or snapshot-20041001 or higher.

as i couldn't find a qscintilla >=1.4 debian package, i wanted to compile myself:

2. compiling qscintilla directly (as in qscintilla's readme)

(i tried the snapshot and 1.61 => same result:)

qmake qscintilla.pro => no problem (no comment)
make ==> i get loads of errors, starting like this:

g++ -c -pipe -D_REENTRANT -O2 -w -fPIC -DQEXTSCINTILLA_MAKE_DLL -DQT -DSCI_LEXER
-DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_SHARED
-I/usr/local/qt/mkspecs/default -I. -I/usr/local/qt/include/QtGui
-I/usr/local/qt/include/QtCore -I/usr/local/qt/include -I. -I../include -I../src
-I. -o qextscintilla.o qextscintilla.cpp
In file included from qextscintilla.cpp:28:
qextscintilla.h:29:25: qguardedptr.h: No such file or directory
In file included from qextscintilla.h:32,
                 from qextscintilla.cpp:28:
qextscintillabase.h:2032: error: type specifier omitted for parameter `WFlags'

and in fact, there is no file qguardedptr.h here, there is one of this name in
/usr/include/qt3/ and another one in /usr/local/qt/include/Qt
these may be remainings from my different installation attempts :-(
maybe i have to move the qscintilla folder somewhere before making???

3.compiling qt

i thought it might be a problem with my out-of-the-box qt. so i got the latest
qt and compiled (long!) (the snapshot didn't work but the latest beta worked
fine). but no change for the compilation of qscintilla...

well, i may just be too newbie for this installation. the best would be to find
a live cd with a recent version of eric3 on it. but it's not difficult to
produce a cd if i could only install those things under debian...

thanks in advance for any hint where to pick up again.
kim