[PyKDE] exported symbols - all or none?

Anthony Heading aheading at jpmorgan.com
Thu Apr 28 14:06:54 BST 2005

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 10:30:35PM +0100, Phil Thompson wrote:
> But is it called from Python? If it is then why not use SIP to create a module
> with the required functionality?

Indeed that's what I should do.  It's just a slightly larger organizational
change to my current codebase than I'd expected.

> The problem with that is that I would have to publish the data structure that
> represents the API. At the moment it is internal and I do change it between
> versions.

Very fair.

> It generates a lot of files, but those don't generate any code. Those files
> define how a module accesses the API of those modules it %Imports.

Indeed.  I had just missed the conceptual principal that %Import is the
new correct way for any and all access to other modules' wrapper code.

> Yes - the constraint is a result of the module API not being published.
>
> I'm quite happy to add stuff to the documented API (either at the C/C++ level
> or within the sip module) if it makes sense and is maintainable.
>
> Can you give me a real-life example of what you are trying to do?

Let me try and rework my code instead.  I think if anything useful comes out
of this discussion other than my education, it might be a documentation
patch for the SIP reference manual which mentions the concepts you've highlighted:
    -	SIP now strictly generates Python plugins, not libraries
    -	%Import is needed for all source-level interaction with another module
    -	although %Import may generate lots of files, they're interface not code

Thanks very much

Anthony

This communication is for informational purposes only. It is not intended
as an offer or solicitation for the purchase or sale of any financial
instrument or as an official confirmation of any transaction. All market prices,
data and other information are not warranted as to completeness or accuracy and
do not necessarily reflect those of JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries
and affiliates