[PyKDE] KDE widgets

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Wed Apr 13 19:48:28 BST 2005

On Wednesday 13 April 2005 10:38, Torsten Marek wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> right now I'm working on getting the KDE widgets into PyQtUI. Apart from
> listing them all in a file with their respective modules, what should be
> supported too:
>
> * creating a KApplication instead of a QApplication

Look at PyKDE/contrib/kdepyuic (it's pretty simple) for changing QApplication
to KApplication. You need to add the necessary imports, of course (kdecore at
a minimum, probably kdeui, others depend what you're doing but kdeui covers
nearly all of the widgets).

> * convert all QWhatEver to KWhatEver if possible (maybe via a switch?)

Probably not a good idea because KDE applications don't always use the KDE
variants of Qt widgets - there are cases where it's probably not desireable
to do that. That's a matter of programmer choice, and the KDE variants don't
necessarily map well (eg KDialog or KDialogBase vs QDialog).

KApplication is really the only thing that matters since it pulls in the
additional KDE stuff (locale, standard directories and other "standard"
stuff) that makes something a "KDE applicatlon" rather than just a "Qt
application".

> Are there any PyKDE hackers around that can lighten me up?

Jim