[PyKDE] Language Overhead: C++ vs Python

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Wed Apr 6 17:51:42 BST 2005

On Wednesday 06 April 2005 05:57, Torsten Marek wrote:
> Wido Depping schrieb:

> > By the way, are there any Python-implemented widgets available on the
> > net? There are some nice widgets in KDE (like Date selector), I would
> > like to integrate into my application. But I don't want my application
> > depend on PyKDE, since I want it to be portable on Unix, Mac OS X and
> > Windows.

> I sometimes thought about a widget collection for PyQt, something nice for
> a contrib/ section in the PyQt distribution.

That would be the way to approach it IMO. You can steal the code from KDE to
construct some of the widgets, but you can't directly run most of the code
(in most cases - there are probably a few exceptions) without KDE.

KDE ties most of its widgets into the entire KDE system, which includes
locale, themes and other stuff that needs the rest of KDE to run.

Jim