[PyKDE] kapp is missing? PyKDE + i18n tutorials

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Wed Sep 29 01:25:22 BST 2004

On Tuesday 28 September 2004 14:47, Gustavo Barbieri wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 1) kapp is missing from my kdecore, how do I create an action that
> sends the signal to the current KApplication? I want to send the
> "close()"

kapp was dropped quite a while ago because it caused a type problem with some
gcc versions. I could go back and look at that again. However, kapp isn't
really necessary, because it's set by calling KApplication.kApplication(),
which is static and can be called from anywhere without a KApplication
instance. Simply put:

    kapp = KApplication.kApplication()

wherever you need the value. You can make kapp (or whatever name you choose) a
Python global if that helps (but not until KApplication has been
instantiated).

> 2) There is any PyKDE tutorial up2date? How about one that uses i18n()?

None that I'm aware of.  i18n is used the same as in C++:

    from kdecore import i18n

    someString = i18n("some string")

As far as implementing the actual translation stuff - I can't help you there.

Jim