[PyKDE] Eric3: Am I missing something about adding directories?

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Mon Sep 27 20:09:15 BST 2004

Am Montag, 27. September 2004 04:26 schrieb Mike C. Fletcher:
> Okay, I think I'm missing something regarding how to add directories of
> resource files to Eric projects.  Here's what I'm doing:
>
>     In an existing project, I create a directory on the filesystem (e.g.
>     "templates") as a sub-directory of one of my sub-package's
>     directories (everything save the new directory is already checked
>     into CVS), for instance: cinemon/twistscan/templates, and I copy 2
>     or 3 html files (actually, Zope page templates, but that's of no
>     great consequence) into the directory that are now part of the
>     resources used by the project.
>
>     In the Eric3 project browser window, I switch to browsing "others",
>     right-click and choose "Add directory".
>
>     The directory shows up in the project browser, as do all of the
>     files within it.  VCS status of the files shows as "local", but they
>     are shown in black instead of red (which is how the resources added
>     at the top-level of the project show up).
>
>     Now, it turns out that one of the images is just a junk backup
>     created by an editor in which the file is currently open, so I
>     right-click on it and select "Remove from Project", Eric pops up a
>     dialog box saying "The selected entry is not recorded in the project".
>
>     Sure enough, if I right-click on the browser pane and choose Add
>     File, I can actually add the file *again* to the project, i.e. it
>     shows up twice in the tree control.  This time, however, it shows up
>     as red, and when I right-click and choose "remove from project", it
>     is removed.
>
>     A little confused now, I decide to try another project, this time,
>     however, I check in the files to CVS, then check them out, then add
>     their directory to the project.  This time, when I right-click on
>     the files (which show VCS status of "CVS", but are still in black),
>     there's no option to remove them from the project (that is, it's
>     greyed out).  Again, however, if I choose Add Files, I can add
>     duplicates of the files (i.e. they show up twice in the tree control).
>
> Am I missing something about the purpose of "add directories"?  Is it
> intended for something other than adding a directory and all files
> within it to the project?  If so, what is it supposed to do?  How does
> one add a whole directory of files to the project simultaneously (e.g.
> images, templates, stylesheets).

The "Add directory" of the others tab marks the directory as being under
project control. Everything inside this directory is implicitly part of the
project just by being inside this directory. The red entries of the others
browser are the entries, which are under direct project control and can be
removed/deleted from the project. Once a resource is under version control,
these two entries are inactive and you can delete a file/directory via the
respective menu entry of the VCS part of the context menu. Due to the fact,
that this goes through the VCS (cvs or svn) it will even remove black
entries. This might be inconsistent, but I left it in.

Detlev
--
Detlev Offenbach
detlev at die-offenbachs.de