[PyKDE] Eric: another minor wish-list item, CVS commit auto-ok/non-modal

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Sat Sep 25 15:49:11 BST 2004

When checking in a file to CVS, we get a dialog asking for the commit
message.  Normally what I do is I do a diff for the whole project to see
which files have changed and how, and keep this diff open while checking
in each file.  However, the commit dialog is modal, and that makes it
awkward to Alt+tab back to Eric from the diff page (KDE doesn't want to
let me tab back to it).  That's solved by using the mouse to click on
the taskbar icon for Eric, but it slows down the process somewhat.

More annoying, however, is the situation *after* issuing the command to
commit from the dialog.  The commit dialog remains modal and open, and
waits for you to click cancel/ok.  Since committing can take a while,
I'm wanting to be back at the diff page looking at the next change to be
checked in and mentally composing the check-in message, however, since
the modal dialog is still open, it's a pain to get back to Eric-proper.

So, suggestions:

    * Make the CVS-commit dialog non-modal
          o has the disadvantage that you might wind up with dozens of
            them open if you don't track it
          o (dis?)advantage that they show up on the task bar
    * Make the CVS-commit dialog non-modal during commits
          o i.e. after you say "do it", make the dialog simply a frame
            or message window allowing you to cancel/reporting status
          o Could be a little pop-up notification window in the lower
            right corner of the screen, or just a regular non-model frame
    * Make the CVS-commit dialog auto-OK if the commit exits without errors
          o Even if the dialog is made non-modal, this would seem to be
            a useful feature, as when the commit succeeds it's just done
            what you've told it to do, it really doesn't need to be
            acknowledged
          o Only on error does the dialog remain/return to demand attention
          o Possibly have a KDE event generated to allow the user to
            specify a sound to play on success/failure of the commit

Thanks again,
Mike

PS: upgrading to KDE 3.3 and QT 3.3 with the latest Eric snapshot did
not fix the disappearing-keystroke problem I reported last week (yes, it
took almost a week to test it what with karking my whole system during
the upgrade (I'm a Linux newbie, still)).  It appears that something is
mis-configured such that certain combinations of shift+ctrl cause some
sort of chording key-entry mode to get entered.  I've since noticed it
showing up in other programs (including Mozilla Thunderbird), so it's
definitely not an Eric problem.  I'm beginning to suspect it's actually
a keyboard-driver or similar low-level problem.

  Mike C. Fletcher
  Designer, VR Plumber, Coder
  http://www.vrplumber.com
  http://blog.vrplumber.com