[PyKDE] How to use "kdialog"

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Tue Sep 21 20:45:19 BST 2004

On Tuesday 21 September 2004 12:10, Thorsten Kampe wrote:
> I want to integrate some simple message boxes in a Python script. Of
> course I could use EasyGUI (www.ferg.org) but the native KDE look is
> much nicer.

> So I installed PyKDE but I couldn't figure out how to code this simple
> task. Could anyone tell me the equivalent Python code to
> '"kdialog --msgbox "Hello world"'? using the KDE bindings?

> Or would "os.system('kdialog --msgbox "Hello world"')" be better
> (because it doesn't rely on the KDE bindings)?

> Are there any advantages for using the bindings instead of the system
> call?

If all you want is to pop up a few dialogs, the command line kdialog is
probably a lot easier, and a lot lighter weight.

PyKDE and PyQt are intended msotly for writing complete GUI-based apps.
If that's what you want to do, checkout the KDE docs for the KMessageBox,
KDialogBase and KDialog classes.

Jim