[PyKDE] A few minor (but irritating :) ) editor bugs in Eric 3.4.2

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Thu Sep 16 20:57:52 BST 2004

Hi all,

Once again trying to make Eric my primary working environment (as part
of switching from Windows+PythonWin to Linux), and have run into 2 bugs
that tend to make it very frustrating to work in the source-code
editor.  I'm using the Eric 3.4.2 .ebuild for Gentoo with KDE
3.3/Xorg-X11 on an AMD64 native build.

1) Arrow-key-after select+(ctrl-c) does not clear the selection and does
not move the cursor (silently swallowed).

    To reproduce, select a line or two of text and hit ctrl-c to copy
    it.  Now, hit down or up arrow.  About 1 time on 10 this will *not*
    clear the selection.  I haven't been able to isolate the conditions
    under which it doesn't work, will keep playing with it to see if I can.

2) ctrl-shift-arrow "sticks" for one key-press

    To reproduce, press and hold ctrl+shift, then press left/right
    arrow, it will require two presses of the arrow key to start the
    selection, rather than one.  i.e. the first arrow-key press has no
    visible effect, while it should be selecting to the next word boundary.

Oh, and a few other notes:

    * I somehow wound up with a '~' directory in my home directory, I
      believe from specifying a CVS checkout directory as ~/pylive or
      something like that.  With that directory present Eric got into
      some weird mode where it was just plain flaky, would let me try to
      open projects and then hang, that kind of thing.  Not a big deal,
      I'm sure lots of programs would flake out in that situation, but
      IIGuessC it was Eric that created the situation (somehow, I didn't
      really notice it had been done until Eric started flaking out)
    * It would be very helpful if the CVS project-definition page would
      remember CVSROOTs that have been entered previously, it's tedious
      typing them in each time you want to check out a project from your
      CVS server.
    * The ebuild didn't seem to create a KDE file-type associate for
      project files

If this is all known stuff and is fixed by upgrading to a snapshot,
would be delighted to know that.

Thanks for all the work,
Mike

  Mike C. Fletcher