[PyKDE] Trouble running PyKDE and KDE 3.3

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Sun Sep 12 04:52:11 BST 2004

On Friday 10 September 2004 07:26, Steffen Ganschow wrote:
> Hi,
> whenever I try to run a pyKDE program I get an error message similar to
> this Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "Python/ChemCalc/Einwaage.py", line 26, in ?
>     from kdecore import KApplication, KAboutData, KCmdLineArgs
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/kdecore.py", line 33, in ?
>     import libkdecorec
> ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/libkdecorecmodule.so:
> undefined symbol: _ZN10KCatalogueC1ERK7QString
>
> My configuration:
>  python 2.3.3
>  sip 3.10.2
>  PyQt 3.12
>  PyKDE 3.11rc1 (shipped with the unofficial KDE 3.3 update)
>
> My system:
>  SuSE 9.1
>
> Anybody there who knows what to do?

For KDE >= 3.3.0, the C++ ctor is:
     KCatalogue (const QString& = QString ::null , const QString& =
                        QString ::null );

For KDE < 3.3.0, the ctor is:
    KCatalogue (const QString& = QString ::null );

which appears to be the unresolved symbol.

PyKDE 3.11rc1 only has the second ctor - I honestly don't remember if that
release would build against KDE 3.3.0. My guess is not. The easiest solution
would be to download PyKDE 3.11.3 from riverbankcomputing.co.uk and rebuild
PyKDE from that.

I'm not sure if anyone has done SuSE rpms for PyKDE 3.11.x yet.

Jim