[PyKDE] Re: [Pythonmac-SIG] ANN: PyQt-Mac binary installer, 11-2004-fix, available

Kevin Walzer sw at wordtech-software.com
Sat Nov 20 16:48:19 GMT 2004

Bob Ippolito wrote:

| Not sure if this is your fault or theirs, but the #! for Eric 3 should
| not be:
|
| #!/Applications/MacPython-2.3/PythonIDE.app/Contents/MacOS/Python
|
| It should be:
|
| #!/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Resources/
| Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python
|
| This works even if the MacPython additions were never installer or have
| been moved/removed.

Thanks for clarifying this. I used PythonIDE to generate the applet
bundle, and never noticed that it created this dependency. I'm assuming
that since it's only being maintained, not developed, that there are
probably no plans to change this. I notice that PyOXIDE sets things up
the way you suggest, so I will probably switch to that in the next version.

Question, though: aren't PythonLauncher and pythonw part of the
MacPython distribution? Would a Python app bundle launch correctly if
these tools weren't installed? Or are they part of the stock Apple build
of Python?

I realize that using applets as the basis for my app bundles isn't
really the best way to do it, but it does work if the supporting
libraries (PyQt, tkinter, wxPython, whatever) are installed. I do plan
to spend more time with py2app learning its ins and outs--a lot of it is
over my head right now--because I know, overall, that it's a better way
to distibute Python applications (more complexity on the developer end,
but a lot less on the end user).

| Perhaps you should also consider putting it somewhere other than
| /Applications.  /Developer/qt/somewhere or /Developer/Applications/Qt
| Tools/ would probably be more appropriate.

I'll keep that in mind for the next release of this package (probably
when Qt 4.0 is released). There are some things that are hard-coded in
this version of Eric3, so I'll leave it as is for now.

- --
Kevin Walzer, PhD
WordTech Software--Open Source Applications and Packages for OS X
http://www.wordtech-software.com
http://www.smallbizmac.com
http://www.kevin-walzer.com
mailto:sw at wordtech-software.com