[PyKDE] Using custom components and Qt Designer withQWidgetFactory in PyQt

Roberto Alsina ralsina at kde.org
Wed Nov 3 18:31:33 GMT 2004

>> Is there a way to use Qt Designer to embed python-created components
>> into dialogs etc. when they are loaded with QWidgetFactory inty our
>> python application?
>
> For the occasional custom widget on a pyuic form we either insert an empty
> QFrame and manually create the widget inside it, or insert a QLabel
> placeholder that gets manually replaced. All stoneage stuff I guess....

The problem with doing it that way is that you can't connect the signals
using designer, and have to do it by hand in you code. Which is kinda
stone-agey ;-)

Sure, you can define the signals and slots in Designer, but then it
doesn't really generate the right code (I mentioned that in my tutorial
someplace).

I think the main thing needed to be able to use custom python widgets in
designer "the right way" would be a way to create a widget plugin.

Check Qt designer's manual, chapter 7 "Creating Custom Widgets with
Plugins" to see what I mean.

The bad news is that I am not sure how that could be done for python
widgets. The good news are there's a lot of smart people on this list ;-)

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina at kde.org
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   KDE Developer (MFCH)
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Buenos Aires - Argentina
Imminentizing the eschaton since 1971.