[PyKDE] 10.0 official rpms for PyKDE

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Wed May 26 22:12:01 BST 2004

On Wednesday 26 May 2004 09:54, Joachim Werner wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Jim Bublitz wrote:
> > I wouldn't mind doing this for any distribution. I can't promise to test
> > against every beta/rc since both the download time and build time/build
> > problems can be a lot of extra work. I can try to keep up with the rc
> > releases and submit packages to you.
>
> We just need the most current PyKDE source tarballs in time during the
> beta phase. Building is mostly automated, and as long as the tarballs
> don't differ much it should be no problem for us to update the RPMs for
> every beta (or at least every second or so).

There will be some modules added soon, but that doesn't happen very
frequently. There may also be some additional .py files to install in
site-packages.

> > - I'm very interested in working with SuSE or other distributors,
>  > but the main concern
> > is getting something usable and reliable to PyKDE users (which I haven't
> > always succeeded at).

> That's my main concern, too. The reason why I'm trying to get things in
> sync with our distro is that only if PyKDE comes with the distro people
> who don't know how to compile stuff on their own will be able to run
> Python-based KDE applications. And only if PyKDE becomes an integral
> part of the major Linux distros will we see a significant number of
> developers switch to PyKDE. A lot of people just won't use a tool if
> they have to install libraries from a third party first ...

Agreed. I hate to see people have to sit through long compiles too who don't
really want PyKDE but need it to run an app they want.

> > Just let me know how you want to handle this and we'll see if it can be
> > worked out.
>
> Sounds great. My schedule for PyKDE/PyQt/SIP/eric3 on SUSE is trying to
> build "unofficial" SUSE LINUX 9.1 rpms for KDE3.2.3 as soon as this is
> possible. PyKDE is the only part that is missing on 9.1, but the other
> parts can need an upgrade, too.

My guess is that the current release will work with KDE3.2.3 (but I've been
wrong on that before) - there *usually* aren't significant kdelibs changes in
minor releases, exp later in the cycle. I don't expect it to take long to
generate a new version.

> For 9.2 (which should more or less match with KDE 3.3) we will then get
> the latest stuff released as part of the distro if everything goes well.

OK.

> There's one thing I'll have to check with Stefan Kulow (the KDE release
> manager): If PyKDE becomes part of the KDE release itself we'll have to
> change the processes a bit. The guys who do the Java bindings are doing
> this already.

Just keep me informed if you need particular dates or other requirements. I
can be pretty flexible if I have some advance notice.

Jim