[review] [PyKDE] Superkaramba theme could not load PyKDE

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Sat Jul 24 01:55:01 BST 2004

On Friday 23 July 2004 12:05, Maciej Sitarz wrote:
> Hi
> I'm using Mandrake 10 and I have a problem with superkaramba and a theme
> called Slickbar http://kdelook.org/content/show.php?content=5658
>
> The error log:
> "WARNING: Could not load PyKDE. QuickLaunchPanel will not run without
> it. It is available at:
> http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/pykde/download.php"
>
> The theme uses PyKDE and PyQt. I read a post on the mailing list
> http://mats.imk.fraunhofer.de/pipermail/pykde/2003-October/006197.html
> but the problem wasn't resolved :/
> I did the advices written there and here it is what I recieved:
> $ rpm -qa | grep "sip\|PyQt\|PyKDE"
> PyQt-3.12-1mdk
> libsip10-3.8-3mdk
> PyKDE-3.11.1-1mdk10
> libsip10-devel-3.8-3mdk
> PyKDE-devel-3.11.1-1mdk10
>
> $ python
>
>  >>> import qt
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> ImportError: No module named sip
>

> $ ls /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/ | grep "qt\|kde\|sip"
> ls: /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/: No such file or directory
>
> so I did:
> $ ls /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/ | grep "qt\|kde\|sip"
These are compatible with sip 4.0
> kdecore.so*
> kdefx.so*
> kdeprint.so*
> kdesu.so*
> kdeui.so*

These are sip 3.10.2
Type sip -V to verify the version.

> libsip.a
> libsip.so@
> libsip.so.10@
> libsip.so.10.1@
> libsip.so.10.1.1*

These are compatible with sip 4.0
> pykdeconfig.py
> pyqtconfig.py
> qtcanvas.so*
> qtext.so*
> qtgl.so*
> qtnetwork.so*
> qt.so*
> qtsql.so*
> qttable.so*
> qtui.so*
> qtxml.so*

You need to install sip 4.0.x - there should be a Mandrake rpm for it if you
installed PyQt and PyKDE using Mdk rpms (and in the same place you got those
from). What you should see in site-packages with sip 4.0 is sip.so and
sipconfig.py - no libsip*.

Thanks for providing all of the info - makes it easy to diagnose.

Jim