[PyKDE] Bionic vision

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Sat Jan 31 06:02:01 GMT 2004

I have my bionics fully installed now. Other than the anesthetic
injection being extremely painful (just like at the dentist, but
in or around the eye) this one was easier than the last and
seems to be responding faster. It's looks a lot worse because I
had a little bleeding in the white of the eye (and all the blood
accumulates in the eyeball - kind of gross looking), but that
has no effect on vision, recovery, or even comfort. Plus I have
a black eye from the anesthetic - had a different guy do it this
time and he wasn't as good as the previous one. I had surgery
yesterday AM and could see well enough to drive out to get a
pizza late in the afternoon (at least I didn't hit anything),
and drove home (135 miles) today. Skipped the mountain passes
though (which is the quicker route) because the weather was
lousy at higher elevations.

I'm going to take the next couple days off from any close work
(reading, computing much), because I had a lot of eye strain
last time, and it may have contributed to the complications I
had with the other eye (which is perfectly fine now). I'm not
known for patience with stuff like this, but I'm going to force
myself. For example, my pupil is still somewhat dilated from the
surgery, which makes some things just a little blurry.

One recommendation - if you ever need eye surgery, don't watch
"Once Upon a Time in Mexico" the night before like I did. About
two-thirds of the way through the movie, the Johnny Depp
character gets his eyeballs drilled out.

I have a pair of $5 glasses I bought at the hardware store that
work great for reading and viewing the monitor, and should get
back into PyKDE and related stuff early next week. I noticed a
couple PyKDE-related posts to the list, which I'll respond to
then if still necessary.

Otherwise, I have 20/15 (about 6/5 for you metric fans) vision in
both eyes (without glasses), which means my acuity for distance
is better than 20/20 - really cool. Colors are also much
brighter, but now I can see all the stains on my shirts I
couldn't see before. I'll probably still need glasses for
reading, etc., since my lenses are now hard plastic and can't
accomodate for near vision (no zoom lenses yet - sorry).

Jim