[PyKDE] PyKDE can't find the sip file directory

Shane Rogers swrogers at cox.net
Wed Jan 28 20:15:01 GMT 2004

OK, I've been trying to get this thing to build for quite some time now, and
am just about to get really disgusted with the whole process.  In the past, I
never really had that much trouble getting PyKDE to compile but now for some
reason it just isn't cooperating.

I downloaded sip 3.1, PyQt 3.1 and PyKDE 3.8 all from riverbank - the latest
versions of each.  I compiled sip and PyQt without too much trouble and they
work just fine.  But PyKDE isn't finding the sip directory in /usr/local/
share/sip.

Here is the output:
	Building PyKDE 3.8 on linux2.

	Python version is 2.3
	Python parent directory is /usr/lib/python2.3
	Python library directory is /usr/lib/python2.3/config
	Python include directory is /usr/include/python2.3

	Home directory is /root

	sip code generator path (sip) is /usr/local/bin
	sip version is 3.1
	sip lib directory (libsip*) is /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages
	sip include directory (sipQt.h) is /usr/include/python2.3

	Qt3 parent directory is /usr/local/lib/qt3
	Qt3 lib directory (libqt-mt.so.3) is /usr/local/lib/qt3/lib
	Qt3 include directory (qglobal.h) is /usr/local/lib/qt3/include
	Qt version is 3.3.0b1

	PyQt lib directory is /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages
	PyQt lib version is 3.10

	*** Error: PyQt sip files directory -- not found
	 (['/usr/local/share/sip/'], qtmod.sip)

	Please review the installation documentation before reporting errors
	When reporting errors, include the complete output of this program

That is with using the -v /usr/local/share/sip command line option to
build.py.

Here is what I have done to try and fix the problem.  Jim Bublitz had posted a
fix that involved making a couple of changes to the discover.py script,
adding   self.pyQtSip = DiscoverPyQtSip ("qtmod.sip", pyQtSipPath) in the
appropriate spot and making sure another line is indented correctly.
Supposedly a new version of PyKDE was going to be released soon to fix these
issues.  That didn't have any effect on it finding the sip directory. I've
tried to make symlinks in an attempt to figure out what exact name it's
looking for in a directory, but nothing is working at all.

I'm at about my wits end.  If anyone has any ideas I'm open to them.  All this
just so I can use slickbar under superkaramba....