[PyKDE] Little Python helpers for PyQt

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk
Sun Jan 25 03:38:09 GMT 2004

On Thursday 22 January 2004 12:58 am, Torsten Marek wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I think I can safely presume that anybody of you who has been working
> extensively with PyQt has created his/her own set of little helper
> functions that proved very useful in several projects of yours, because
> I see exactly that happening with me.
> For instance, I have several generator functions for walking listboxes
> and listviews (both shallow and deep) that I use very often.
>
> My proposal and the reason I write this email would be that each of you
> who thinks that he/she has a function/class/whatever of general interest
> posts those to the list, with code and some comment.
> Ongoing, we could create a small collection of pyqt-helpers which could
> then be downloaded from pykde.sf.net (or even included into PyQt, but
> that's completely up to Phil, who may forgive me my ambitions), to the
> benefit of us all.

I'm more than happy to add a contrib directory to PyQt. Two things I would
say...

- please supply documentation in some form (comments in the code is fine)

- consider adding it to the WIKI at python.org instead/as well.

I don't have any feedback on how well used the WIKI is, but it seems an
obvious place to put useful stuff and advertise PyQt at the same time. (Which
begs the question why don't I link to it - so I'll sort that out.)