[PyKDE] PyQt application packagers for windows?

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk
Sun Jan 25 03:38:00 GMT 2004

On Friday 23 January 2004 9:01 am, Ulrich Berning wrote:
> Greg Fortune schrieb:
> >My e-mails and phone calls with Trolltech addressed exactly that clause
> > and they said it was fine even after I explained that strictly speaking
> > it was a violation of that clause.  They did say that if I exposed the Qt
> > api in my app and made it available to the end user (aka, the qt
> > scripting component), that would be a violation.
> >
> >Greg
>
> If you distribute the PyQt modules (qt.pyd, qtcanvas.pyd ...) created
> with a commercial Qt edition, every end user can put these modules in a
> normal Python installation and use them to create new (Py)Qt
> applications. So the end user becomes a Qt developer and needs a Qt
> license. I think it doesn't matter if the end user really creates new
> applications. Just the fact, that the end user can do that violates the
> license. If Trolltech says, this is not true, they should delete that
> clause from the licence or make a clear statement, what this clause means.

My *personal* opinion is that it is sufficient to tell your users that they
are not allowed to exploit the Qt API that they may technically have access
to. However it is prudent to make such access as difficult as possible.

> For me, this license clause has a clear meaning: Make it impossible for
> the end user, to create new software with any component of your
> software, but making the software customizeable with a scripting
> language like Python, so the end user can write Python macros to
> add/modify/delete use cases or dialog components of the application, is
> ok. If this is not true, we can stop our software development now and
> search for another toolkit, because scripting will be one of the key
> features of our commercial application.

If your users have access to the Qt API then (as far as Trolltech are
concerned) they are developers.