[PyKDE] PyQt application packagers for windows?

Paul Evans pevans at catholic.org
Fri Jan 23 16:02:00 GMT 2004

On January 23, 2004 01:01 am, Ulrich Berning wrote:
> Greg Fortune schrieb:
> >My e-mails and phone calls with Trolltech addressed exactly that clause
> > and they said it was fine even after I explained that strictly speaking
> > it was a violation of that clause.  They did say that if I exposed the Qt
> > api in my app and made it available to the end user (aka, the qt
> > scripting component), that would be a violation.
> For me, this license clause has a clear meaning: Make it impossible for
> the end user, to create new software with any component of your
> software, but making the software customizeable with a scripting
> language like Python, so the end user can write Python macros to
> add/modify/delete use cases or dialog components of the application, is
> ok. If this is not true, we can stop our software development now and
> search for another toolkit, because scripting will be one of the key
> features of our commercial application.

IF the above is true, could one not use py2exe to distribute to your customer?
I used it once last with the free version of pyqt for windows and it was quite
painless. It runs quickly and you end up with a few dlls and an exe.

It turns a harmless looking small script into a few megs of files, but they
are entirely self-contained for distribution.

The downside for me was that I couldn't make any quick changes on the target
box, but that sounds like just what you are looking for if your
interpretation of the license is correct.

Perhaps things have changed since then as I don't follow the windows side of
things much.

--
Regards, Paul Evans