[PyKDE] PyQt application packagers for windows?

Ulrich Berning ulrich.berning at desys.de
Thu Jan 22 17:29:00 GMT 2004

Roberto Alsina schrieb:

>Hello,
>
>I was just wondering. If someone writes a nice, very free (as in BSD or
>public domain) app using PyQt, would it be legal if someone having a
>windows license would pack it into an installer and distribute it?
>
>I know it wouldn't break the application license, and I am expecting it
>not to break the PyQt-windows license either.
>
>If the riverbank guys approve, this would be nice :-)

You are not allowed to distribute PyQt as dynamic loadable modules or a
Python interpreter containing PyQt as builtin modules, because this
would break the Qt commercial license. You either have to create a final
executable with Python and PyQt linked in, or distribute your
application without any PyQt components.

 From The Qt COMMERCIAL LICENSE AGREEMENT:

9.(vii) Applications may not pass on functionality which in any way
makes it possible for others to create software with the Licensed Software;

Ulli