[PyKDE] KControl Modules II (Simon Edwards)

Simon Edwards simon at simonzone.com
Sat Jan 3 18:23:00 GMT 2004

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 04:57 pm, David Boddie wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 11:45:34, Simon Edwards <simon at simonzone.com> wrote:
> > Hello all,
> Happy New Year!

yes indeed, happy new year.

> > The last we touched this issue we were kind of stuck with python kcontrol
> > modules kind of working except when you have more than one python module.
> > Trying to run a second python module in the same process (kcontrol) runs
> > into disaster. (just doesn't work). Is this correct summary of the current
> > situation?
>
> Fortunately not! Thanks to some clever hacking by Jim, Python KControl
> modules should now coexist peacefully.

way cool! What was the general solution BTW?

> a bit later today. The pykde-components archive will have today's date;
> don't grab the one from December by accident!

cool, I'll grab it then.

> Note that I'm using an older version of libpythonize than that supplied with
> PyKDE-3.8.0. Although I believe that the newer libpythonize only has issues
> when used to create KParts, I can't be sure that this isn't also the case
for
> KControl modules as well.

I've got 3.7 installed here. Is that good? or should I (finally) get around to
packaging the current PyQt/PyKDE versions?

> > I've been helping out with the "KDE on Debian" project lately and being
> > able to write modules in python is highly desired capability to say the
> > least. :)
> I can imagine. Haven't you got some sort of configuration system which would
> benefit from the KControl treatment, or am I thinking of someone else?

Guilty as charged. :) Thanks a lot. Not having to hack kcontrol does simplify
things.

cheers,

--
Simon Edwards             | Guarddog Firewall
simon at simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/