[PyKDE] PyKDE Valentine's Day Update

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Fri Feb 13 22:32:01 GMT 2004

On Friday February 13 2004 11:35, Phil Thompson wrote:
> On Friday 13 February 2004 18:25, Jim Bublitz wrote:
> > sip 3.10/3.11 and sip 4 can use identical syntax (except sip
> > 4 no longer supports some obsolete constructions). I haven't
> > tried sip 4 yet, but I believe everything in both PyKDE and
> > presip will be sip 4 compatible. I believe Phil intends 3.11
> > to be the last sip 3.x release, so PyKDE's sip 3.x support
> > will end when backwards compatibility with sip 3.x ends.

> Just to clarify this...
>
> The next version of SIP v3 is likely to be 3.10.1. SIP v3 will
> be supported in the following way...

> - bug fixes that affect PyQt

> - enhancements to ensure that it will always be able to build
> PyQt (but not necessarily implement newer features).

> It may be that there is never a v3.11.

> I will continue to support SIP v3 in this way for the
> forseeable future to accomodate commercial customers stuck on
> versions of Python prior to v2.3.

For PyKDE, I don't have any intention of continuing support for
Python < 2.3, and in fact the upcoming sip 3.10 or 3.10.1 based
PyKDE release requires Python 2.3 to run configure.py (without
which you can't build PyKDE). I don't think this will be a
hardship for any PyKDE users - if it is going to cause a
problem, let me know and I'll look into supporting older Python
versions.

At some point there will probably be a sip 4 enhancement that KDE
requires in PyKDE, and that won't be backported to sip 3. AT
present it seems unlikely that that will occur before KDE 3.3 or
4.0 - whatever the next major release will be. That will be what
determines when PyKDE's sip 3 support ends. While in some
respects PyQt is a little more complex than PyKDE, overall KDE
uses more C++ features than Qt does (namespaces have been the
most obvious, but there are some others), so there are sip
features that don't affect PyQt but do affect PyKDE.

Again, I don't think this will really impact anyone unreasonably,
but I'm willing to look at fixing any problems this might cause.
This isn't so much a problem in the details of maintaining PyKDE
as it is a factor in freeing time to be able to extend and
enhance PyKDE in areas like docs/added KDE features support (eg
dcop, plugins)/packaging, etc.

Jim