[PyKDE] curious about multiple installs

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Sat Feb 7 05:14:01 GMT 2004

On Friday February 6 2004 16:32, Patrick Stinson wrote:
> As it turns out, PyKDE-3.8.0 is only compatible with sip-3.8
> and PyQt-3.8, and I need to use the sip snapshots to get my
> sip-based C++ module to compile correctly.

> See article:
> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/02/06/1336234&mode=threa
>d&tid=146&tid=187&tid=98&tid=99

> So, it looks like I won't be able to use my module with PyKDE
> (something I've now decided to do) until PyKDE supports a
> newer version of sip. What I've decided to do while I wait is
> to build and install a seperate instance of
> pytho/sip/pyqt/pykde that uses the old versions. I tried this
> with previous versions (didn't seem worth the effort), but it
> seems that an unprivelaged user can build them now, so I was
> curious if this sort of thing was possible. Also, am I wrong
> about the first part of the message?

You need to be root to make sip/PyQt3.8; a user can build/make
later sip/PyQt versions and PyKDE from 3.8 forward. That will
remain the case for future versions of all 3.

You're correct that you're stuck with 3.8 for everything if you
want to run PyKDE right now.  I'll post an update on PyKDE in a
separate msg.

Jim