[PyKDE] pyKDE / KPIM libraries

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Thu Dec 30 12:20:49 GMT 2004

Hi guys,

sorry for the late chime in, but I'm pretty busy in solving non GUI
problems ATM. Thankfully, Python IS involved workwise and I'm going
to become father next year :-)

On Tuesday 14 December 2004 18:41, Jim Bublitz wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 December 2004 06:39, Richard Taylor wrote:
> > Are there any python wrappers for the KPIM libaries? I would like
> > to be able to access the Address Book and KMail libraries from a
> > pyKDE application.
> >
> > My apologies if the answer to this should be staring me in the
> > face. I have been looking around but I can't find any reference
> > to using Python to call these libraries.
>
> At one time someone was going to contribute KABC bindings, but
> those have never been completed as far as I know. I haven't looked
> at them in a while - there was some handwritten code required, but
> that may now be minimal with recent sip changes.

It was me, but it was hairier than it appeared one a cursory eval..
One has to wrap at least two classes: KRES and KABC. See attachment.

> I haven't looked at all at KMail - do you know which KDE source
> package that lib is bundled with (would save me some digging)? If
> there are KPIM libs that handle the address book stuff at a higher
> level than KABC (which is part of kdelibs), it would help to know
> that too.

As far as KABC is concerned, the basic libs and KRES is located in
kdelibs, and the more specialized stuff (probably not worth wrapping,
as Joe already noted) is in kdepim.

> It probably isn't a lot of work to generate the bindings, although
> I'm not doing very well keeping up with PyKDE as is. The other
> consideration is whether PyKDE should get larger or additional
> bindings should be a separate project/package. I'll have to give it
> some thought.

At least, it won't be finished in one single persons nightly hacking
orgy, but when it is done and working, it deserves a nice warm place
inside PyKDE, don't you. I offer to add some configure logic to
disable the module, then..

Here's my latest state, build on top of 3.11.1. Unpack in PyKDE source
dir, apply kabc-configure.diff, and build as usual. It won't work in
all aspects, but should provide a comfortable starting point.

If somebody makes some progress on this stuff, please keep me informed
and up to date (diff -u preferred).

if not you_are('Jim Bublitz') and not you_are('Phil Thompson'):
    try:
        if youre_stuck() and want_to_and_can_spend_some_bucks():
	    talk_to_me()
    except zero_budget_exc:
    	dont_count_on_me()

Good luck and a happy new year to everybody,
Pete