[PyKDE] Status of panel applets?

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Sun Aug 29 17:52:40 BST 2004

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 14:17:33, Jim Bublitz wrote:

> On Friday 27 August 2004 12:35, Maurizio Colucci wrote:

> > What is the current status of panel applets?
>
> That's a good question. Between David, Simon and myself, none of us has
> really taken charge of getting panel applets (and related stuff like
> KParts, IOSlaves,  Control Center modules) packaged up. I know I simply
> haven't had time to get back to it, and I suspect that's the case with
> David and Simon too.

That's right. Unfortunately, debugging and packaging these things is always
less attractive than doing other things, so many of the components remain
unfinished and/or unpackaged at the moment.

> There is a nice project here if someone wants to pull it all together,
> covering:
>
> 1. Panel applets and panel extensions (not sure about panel menus, but the
> other two are essentially done)

I doubt that I'll be looking at those again any time soon. :-(

> 2. Writing KParts in Python (PyKDE already imports KParts)

I must check that I can display things like the Postscript part, as this was
reported to be incomplete some time ago.

> 3. IOSlaves written in Python

I have these working, but need to adopt a packaging system other than the one
I was using. I've also managed to crash Konqueror with these, too, despite
the level of separation between slaves and applications. I suspect that
Konqueror receives data that it doesn't expect and fails to handle it
properly, but that might be an unfair analysis of the situation.

However, I do have three or four interesting IOSlaves that actually work;
the most interesting of these is the Bookmarks IOSlave.

> 4. Control Center Modules written in Python

Simon can take these. :-)

> If someone wants to take the lead on this (and I hope someone does), it
> would help if they'd speak up (if only so we have someone to bitch at :) ).
> I'll be happy to provide assistance, latest code, whatever, as I'm sure
> David and Simon would. Otherwise, I'll get to it eventually, but I'm pretty
> busy at the moment and PyKDE is my priority.

If it's useful to anyone then I'm happy to supply code.

> There are some good reasons why I don't want this to be part of PyKDE -
> basically problems with changes between sip3 and sip4 and that it makes
> PyKDE building/installation more complicated.

That's understandable. It's probably not a good idea to bloat PyKDE with
support for lots of esoteric plugins, either.

David

Signup at www.doteasy.com