[PyKDE] Re: Singleshot problems in QThreads on Windows.

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Mon Aug 23 13:20:23 BST 2004

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 10:44:30, Truls A. Tangstad wrote:

>On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 04:34:09PM +0200, David Boddie wrote:

>> My current solution is to post events from the non-GUI QThread, but not
>> include any data with them. The data is stored separately in a Python
>> object. I think that the interpreter can access the attributes of
>> pure-Python objects from any thread, and this appears to work well, but
>> you may be experiencing issues that prevent you from using this approach.
>
>What kind of events are you posting?

I'm posting custom events from a non-GUI QThread like this:

    event = QCustomEvent(99999)
    self.postEvent(self.receiver, event)

These are handled in the customEvent method of a class in the main/GUI
thread.

>> The code for qpython-0.55 should get uploaded today. It's not very pretty,
>> but I hope that you get something worthwhile out of it!
>
>I could not find any link or reference to it on the PyQt Wiki though.

Sorry about that. I couldn't actually upload the package to my hosting
provider. I've now added a link on the Wiki:

http://www.diotavelli.net/PyQtWiki/DevelopmentWithPyQt

>Thanks! Our current poll based implementation is working, but we'd
>really like to go back to using postEvent with data if we can get that
>working.

Maybe the trick is to ensure that the data is accessible, or at least
copied properly. I keep hoping that a higher authority will intervene and
give the definitive answer to your problem, but maybe we'll have to work it
out for ourselves.

David

Signup at www.doteasy.com