[PyKDE] Re: PyKDE 3.11.2 sip syntax error

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Sun Aug 22 05:43:16 BST 2004

On Saturday 21 August 2004 18:08, Dan Freed wrote:
> OK I managed to compile and install 3.11.2 by upgrading to sip 4.0.1.
>
> I compiled and install sip for both my qt and qt-mt, perhaps this is my
> problem.
>
> When I import any of the PyKDE modules  I get this error:
> Python 2.3.3 (#1, Apr  6 2004, 01:47:39)
> [GCC 3.3.3 (SuSE Linux)] on linux2

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> RuntimeError: the qt module failed to register with the sip module

> Pure PyQT apps seem to run OK still.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?

My guess is you didn't rebuild/recompile PyQt when you upgraded to sip 4.
PyKDE/PyQt need to be built with comparable sip versions. There is a change
in module architecture between sip 3 and sip 4.

It might also be a good idea to remove any PyKDE *.py files (* == same name as
modules) from site-packages. Don't remove the <module>.so files (eg
kdecore.so, kdeui.so) or you'll need to recompile PyKDE. The
lib<module>cmodule.so files are from the sip3 PyKDE (eg libkdecorecmodule.so,
etc) and also won't be needed.

KDE/PyKDE require qt-mt. I haven't tried it otherwise in quite a while, but I
believe PyKDE would still require PyQt to be built with qt-mt also.

Jim