[PyKDE] Updating to the latest versions of eric/sip/PyQt/PyKDE ...

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Tue Apr 27 20:34:01 BST 2004

Am Dienstag, 27. April 2004 13:32 schrieb Joachim Werner:
> Hi!
>
> We have shipped the following versions with SUSE LINUX 9.1:
>
> - eric-3.3.1
> - sip-3.10.1
> - PyQt-3.11
>
> PyKDE wasn't ready for shipment at the time the 9.1 distro was
> prepared.
>
> Now we are in the process of preparing an SDK (add-ons and development
> tools that are not part of the SUSE LINUX Server, but needed to
> develop software for it).
>
> The problem we have (as usual) is that on the one hand we want to ship
> with the latest code, but on the other hand we have to keep the
> enterprise Linux distribution stable for a long time and don't want to
> have to maintain several versions of the same tool.
>
> My question to the maintainers of the above products:
>
> Considering that the SDK will have an expected lifetime of at least
> one year, would you feel comfortable with us shipping the above
> versions (+ PyKDE 3.11 if everything works out as planned) or should
> we use later versions?
>
> Updating eric to 3.4.1 should be no problem, but my main concern is
> sip. sip 4 doesn't seem to be completely working with PyKDE yet.

Combining eric 3.4.1 with the above mentioned versions of sip and PyQt is
no problem. Actually I would like you to update to the latest version
because this gets me rid of bug reports for bugs already fixed in 3.4.1.
I hate to tell people "Go get the latest version, yours is way too old".

Regarding the development speed of the listed software I would recommend
a shorter lifetime of the SDK (maybe 6 month). If you give us a warning
in advance, we might be able to synchronize a release with your schedule
(no promise).

> The real problem is compatibility of applications written using those
> tools/bindings. If we can make sure that a Python program that was
> written against the current PyQt and/or PyKDE will run without
> problems on later versions then updating those wouldn't cause me any
> headaches.
>
> I'm planning to make current versions of the "Qt Python Toolchain"
> available as unofficial builds, but we are not going to have the
> manpower to officially support those (e.g. provide YOU updates) ...
>
> Cheers
>
> Joachim

Detlev
--