[PyKDE] Updating to the latest versions of eric/sip/PyQt/PyKDE ...

Joachim Werner joe at suse.de
Tue Apr 27 13:36:01 BST 2004

Hi!

We have shipped the following versions with SUSE LINUX 9.1:

- eric-3.3.1
- sip-3.10.1
- PyQt-3.11

PyKDE wasn't ready for shipment at the time the 9.1 distro was prepared.

Now we are in the process of preparing an SDK (add-ons and development
tools that are not part of the SUSE LINUX Server, but needed to develop
software for it).

The problem we have (as usual) is that on the one hand we want to ship
with the latest code, but on the other hand we have to keep the
enterprise Linux distribution stable for a long time and don't want to
have to maintain several versions of the same tool.

My question to the maintainers of the above products:

Considering that the SDK will have an expected lifetime of at least one
year, would you feel comfortable with us shipping the above versions (+
PyKDE 3.11 if everything works out as planned) or should we use later
versions?

Updating eric to 3.4.1 should be no problem, but my main concern is sip.
  sip 4 doesn't seem to be completely working with PyKDE yet.

The real problem is compatibility of applications written using those
tools/bindings. If we can make sure that a Python program that was
written against the current PyQt and/or PyKDE will run without problems
on later versions then updating those wouldn't cause me any headaches.

I'm planning to make current versions of the "Qt Python Toolchain"
available as unofficial builds, but we are not going to have the
manpower to officially support those (e.g. provide YOU updates) ...

Cheers

Joachim

--
Joachim Werner