[PyKDE] Eric3 First impressions and questions

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Sat Apr 24 12:39:00 BST 2004

Hi,

thanks for your lengthy report.

Am Freitag, 23. April 2004 06:11 schrieb Kirill Lapshin:
> Hello!
>
> I've tried quite a few python IDEs, and so far I like Eric the most.
> It's a great piece of software. Thanks a lot, and keep up good work!

Thanks, for your encouraging words.

> There are many things I like. Feature set is well thought. Unit tests,
> profiler, coverage statistics, refactoring -- that's very cool. But
> there are some things that don't work for me, and some other things I
> think can be improved.
>
> I apologize in advance if some of my questions are FAQ. I tried to
> search mail list archives, but I could've easily miss something.
>
> 1. For some reason profile and coverage statistics does not work for
> me. They run but don't show any reports. Right click on source file ->
> "Show" submenu has "Code coverage" and "Profile data" entries but they

Are there files ending in '.profile' or '.coverage' located in the
directory of the file? Did you run them on the script or on the project?
Maybe you can send a testfile and step by step instructions on how to
reproduce the problem.

> are inactive. Another weird thing is that when I am trying to profile
> my unittest I get "0 tests run" in the report. Tests set up in usual
> way
>
> if __name__=='__main':
>     unittest.main()

Please send a little test script showing this behavior.

> 2. There are quite a lot of small annoyances with keyboard shortcuts.
> I am an emacs user, so I wanted to customize shortcuts to be close to
> emacs'. Obvious shortcoming is that there are no double keystrokes
> (e.g. C-X C-S). That's probably not that easy to implement, oh well.

I'll look into this but won't promise anything.

> Even more annoying is that certain commands are not configurable. For
> example there is no way to change "Go to line" keystroke. Alt-BS
> performs undo, even though it is not listed as a registered
> combination for Undo. I tried to assign Alt-BS to delete word on the
> left, and shortcut configuration dialog allowed me to do that, but
> Alt-BS still does undo. I am sure there are more things like this,
> that's just something I noticed in first couple of hours.

That's a bug which needs fixing.

> 3. Too many common operations launch dialogs. I would really love to
> be able to run script without answering questions about command line
> arguments and working dir. Well, for run script there is such
> alternative -- restart script, but for example for UnitTests I see no

Actually, restart script restarts the last debugger related command, i.e.
run, debug, coverage or profile, but not unittest. However, due to the
fact, that unittest is a separate dialog, which remembers the last
invocation until you quit eric3, it is simply a matter of changing to
the unittest dialog and press the start button again.

> way to run tests with a single key. BTW, while we are at it, it would
> be really nice to make unittest screen a dockable panel rather than
> separate window.

This was done intentionally because unittest can be started as a
standalone application as well, i.e. without starting the eric3 IDE.

> 4. Another comment on unittest. Why does it require suite() function?
> Why not run all unittests automatically, akin to unittest.main() if
> suite() is not present? For instance such a suite can be easily
> created this way:
>
> unittest.defaultTestLoader.loadTestsFromModule(module)

I'll look into this.

Regards,
Detlev
--