[PyKDE] pyc/embedded c++ efficiency wrt binary data

Patrick Stinson ajole-1 at gci.net
Mon Apr 12 06:11:01 BST 2004

I'm using pyuic, a tool that comes as part of pyqt, that reads images and
creates a python file with the data embedded in it for easy loading. This is
based on a similar tool called qembed that embeds image data in C++ header
files.
Well, I have found that upon loading the py (9.2MB) file, it takes quite a
while, but a pyc file is created, and is approx. 1/4 the size. This gives me
the indication that the binary encoding is quite good, and importing the pyc
file will takes considerably less time. Does anyone have any idea how the
binary encoding of pyc files is compared to something like this done in C++?
Of course, I'm not asking about the ultimate efficiency including processing
the binary data as pixmaps, but just the loading from disk bit.

Cheers!
-P