[PyKDE] Deployment advice

Eron Lloyd elloyd at lancaster.lib.pa.us
Fri Apr 9 04:10:01 BST 2004

Hi all,

I'd like to build a pretty much self-contained package to deploy my PyQt-based
system. The reason being is that we need to have our system tested by as many
people as possible to ensure it is working correctly. To do that, I've done
some research into possible alternatives, and came across Phil's helpful
document on deployment about a year ago. I've noticed that the solution Phil
covers is Gorden McMillan's Installer package, which has been discontinued as
far as I can tell.

However, there are some interesting concepts in the document that could still
be utilized. Specifically, I'd like to see if it is possible to create an
archive that includes the code for my project, a full Python binary package
with PyQt and SIP built into the interpreter, and a static Qt library. I'm
just now beginning to investigate this approach, and am willing to document
and share my findings with the community.

I'd like to try this approach instead of the "single binary" solution such as
freeze and py2exe, as once the package is installed, I'd like to experiment
with providing module updates over the network and dynamically loading new
code.

If this is an insane idea please let me know, and perhaps suggest some
different approaches. I'd *really* like to continue using PyQt/Python for
this project instead of moving to Qt/C++, so any help would be GREATLY
appreciated.

Thanks,

Eron
---