[PyKDE] Directions for PyKDE, plugins, parts, etc.

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Mon Sep 1 10:23:01 BST 2003

I'm trying to schedule out work I should do on/related to PyKDE
since 3.8 is essentially complete (I have some testing to do
yet). KDE3.2 is due around the end of the year, and if there is
a KDE3.1.4, it won't change much if anything, so for the short
term I plan to work on adding some plugin related stuff
(KPanelExtension, KParts, etc) and my tools (presip) need some
upgrading and a lot of cleanup.

I don't expect KDE3.2 to be a major problem, so I'm wondering
what direction would interest people for the next 6 to 12
months. I was looking today at Kontact, and there are a lot of
plugin interfaces there. I also looked at little at KOffice -
personally I'd like to be able to script KSpread in Python, but
it appears all of the KOffice stuff is still a moving target. I
can also look at bindings or a wrapper for some of the kdegames
stuff. I haven't looked at noatun in a while, but last time I
did I found it nearly incomprehensible, so I'm not sure I want
to get into that. I've also never looked at DCOP much, but can
do that if people find it interesting.

New stuff doesn't have to be PyKDE related or based (for example,
KSpread scripting wouldn't be), but it will all rely on sip more
or less.

I'd be interested in hearing anyone's comments, suggestions,
criticisms, etc. either on the list or off. Where would you like
to use Python? For what kinds of applications or tasks?

Jim