[PyKDE] Re: newest Version

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Wed Oct 29 23:32:01 GMT 2003

On Wed Oct 29 22:04:01 2003, Roland Schulz wrote:

> On Wednesday 29 October 2003 21:43, you wrote:

> > I think that, if we can use a PyKPanelApplet-style approach, then we can
> > avoid sip.

> I finally understand what you (and probably Jim) mean!! But in the case of
> PyKPanelApplet the Python classes are subclasses of PyKPanelApplet and not
> KPanelApplet. Why?

Apparently, various tidying up operations are carried out when the library is
unloaded which wouldn't occur otherwise.

> Could this be done different for the designer lib?

You have to insert code to do the right thing somewhere.

It seems that the easiest route would be to create a subclass of QWidget to
take into account anything that gets introduced in your Python classes. Of
course, you could probably modify the wrapper for QWidget to do this but it
might be better to try out the approach before making changes to PyQt. If it
all works then maybe Phil will take it on board. I'm sure he'd like to see
working code first. ;-)

At least with this approach, if it's even practical, no one has to patch and
rebuild their existing PyQt setup to get it to work.

All the best,

David