[PyKDE] DCOP Problems and Solutions

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Tue Nov 18 19:53:01 GMT 2003

On Tuesday November 18 2003 10:16, Diez B. Roggisch wrote:

> > I'd be interested in hearing opinions on any of this. I'll
> > make some decision on kab in the next few days depending on
> > what feedback I get.

> Now obviously I'm for putting kab in pyKDE :) I'm not sure
> what kjs exactly does - but working in python and then
> allowing java-script for scripting - doesn't make much sense
> to me.

kjs is in PyKDE because it fits in with khtml (and more likely
because it was fairly easy to add).

> For the problem I want kab for - python play out its strenghs
> when dealing with conversions between different sorts of
> (string-based) formats. And there's plethorea of
> PDA/CellPhones out there, that could benefit from an fairly
> easy way to be synchronized, because all of them have their
> own format...

It seems like a good Python application to me - the first program
I did with Python/PyKDE was an address book (before I started
maintaining PyKDE).

> Of course I'm not sure what kdepim is up to  - maybe they will
> change great parts of the related interface, so putting effort
> into kab would make not much sense - at least now. Does
> anybody know what they are going to change for kde 3.2?

Just from looking at 3.2 briefly, it appears that the address
book application (along with KMail, KOrganizer and some other
stuff) will all be rolled into kontact but still remain as
standalone applications.  I would expect the kab lib won't
change much though. I'd also like to be able to script kontact
eventually (and a lot of it is plugin-based already).

Jim