[PyKDE] Building PyQt as 1 shared library

Ulrich Berning ulrich.berning at desys.de
Thu Nov 6 11:31:01 GMT 2003

Phil Thompson schrieb:

>On Wednesday 05 November 2003 10:57 pm, Peter Kropf wrote:
>

>>Does anyone know if it's possible to build PyQt so that there is one shared
>>library that contains all the code instead of the 8 (libqtcanvascmodule.so,
>>libqtcmodule.so, libqtextcmodule.so, libqtnetworkcmodule.so,
>>libqtsqlcmodule.so, libqttablecmodule.so, libqtuicmodule.so,
>>libqtxmlcmodule.so) as there are today?
>>

>Building it as a single shared library shouldn't be too difficult. The problem
>is that I'm not sure Python can deal with several modules being defined in a
>single library as it uses the module name to load the extension and to call
>the initialisation function.
>
>Why would you want to do this?
>
>Phil

Python can deal with it, but only on windows platforms. There you can
make a registry entry containing a module name as a key and the name of
a DLL as the value. The Win32 extensions for Python use this feature:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Python\PythonCore\2.2\Modules\pywintypes]
@=C:\\WINNT\\System32\\PyWinTypes22.dll
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Python\PythonCore\2.2\Modules\pythoncom]
@=C:\\WINNT\\System32\\pythoncom22.dll

C:\>python -v
 >>> import pywintypes
import pywintypes # dynamically loaded from
C:\WINNT\System32\PyWinTypes22.dll
 >>> import pythoncom
import pythoncom # dynamically loaded from C:\WINNT\System32\pythoncom22.dll

Ulli