[PyKDE] [ANNOUNCE] Sixth release of PythonCAD now available

Art Haas ahaas at airmail.net
Sun May 4 23:14:00 BST 2003

I'd like to announce the sixth release of PythonCAD, a CAD package
for open-source software users. As the name implies, PythonCAD is
written entirely in Python. The goal of this project is to create
a fully scriptable drafting program that will match and eventually
exceed features found in commercial CAD software. PythonCAD is released
under the GNU Public License (GPL).

PythonCAD requires Python 2.2. The interface is GTK 2.0 based,
and uses the PyGTK module for interfacing to GTK. The design of
PythonCAD is built around the idea of separating the interface
from the back end as much as possible. By doing this, it is hoped
that both GNOME and KDE interfaces can be added to PythonCAD through
usage of the appropriate Python module. Addition of other interfaces
will depend on the availability of a Python module for that particular
interface and developer interest and action.

The sixth release at long last adds the ability to store text in
a drawing. The text handling is in its earliest stages of development,
but now it is there. There is a new Polyline entity available to
use in a drawing now. A Polyline is essentially the same thing as
a connected set of segments, with the segments joined at the endpoint
of one to another. The ability to mirror objects around an arbitrarily
angled construction line has been added in this release as well.

This release also has a large number of internal code cleanups. A
large amount of code is being moved from the interface specific
directory to the general directory. Doing so reduces the potential
of code duplication in various interfaces. Another improvement in
this release is a reworking of the code used when building or
modifying entities through the menu choices. A new set of object
classes has been added that are specific for the operation to be
performed, and the use of these new classes makes the code to execute
the operation simpler to add and understand. The usual amount of code
cleanups, bug fixes, tweaks, and documentation additions have been done
in this new release as well.

Unfortunately there is still no mailing list for PythonCAD just yet.
I want to find a site that will accept mail from anyone, not just
list subscribers, filter the mail to remove the spam, then send
the mail out to the subscribers. Lists on Sourceforge and the GNU
Subversions site allow more spam than I want, so I am still looking
for options. I cannot stress highly enough how I want the list to
be free from junk mail that unfortunately ends up clogging so many
mailing lists. So, I am still looking for recommendations about
sites that can host the mailing list.

Visit the PythonCAD web site for more information about what PythonCAD
does and aims to be:

http://www.pythoncad.org

Come and join me in developing PythonCAD into a world class drafting
program!

Art Haas
--
To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we
are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic