[PyKDE] [ANNOUNCE] Fifth release of PythonCAD now available.

Art Haas ahaas at airmail.net
Fri Mar 28 17:54:01 GMT 2003

I'd like to announce the fifth release of PythonCAD, a CAD package
for open-source software users. As the name implies, PythonCAD is
written entirely in Python. The goal of this project is to create
a fully scriptable drafting program that will match and eventually
exceed features found in commercial CAD software. PythonCAD is released
under the GNU Public License (GPL).

PythonCAD requires Python 2.2. The interface is GTK 2.0 based,
and uses the PyGTK module for interfacing to GTK. The design of
PythonCAD is built around the idea of separating the interface
from the back end as much as possible. By doing this, it is hoped
that both GNOME and KDE interfaces can be added to PythonCAD through
usage of the appropriate Python module. Addition of other interfaces
will depend on the availability of a Python module for that particular
interface and developer interest and action.

The fifth release adds the first appearance of a global and user
preferences file. Dimensions can now display endpoint markers like
arrows and slashes, though the size these objects are displayed at
is currently fixed. This limitation should be removed in one of the
next two releases. The first implementation of leader lines has been
added as well. This release also has many internal changes in preparation
for adding hatching. There are also new methods for finding entities in
a drawing. Finally, the usual assortment of bug fixes and code tweaks
are included. By the way, a screenshot showing the dimension endpoints
and leader line has been added to the screenshot page at the web site.

extension. The files have always been saved in a compressed format, but
the name did not indicate this. With this change it should be more evident
that the PythonCAD files are not stored in an uncompressed format.

With this release I am also making a request for help in setting up
a mailing list. The lack of a mailing list for people interested in
working on PythonCAD to find one another and discuss development issues
is a hindrance in adding developers to the project. I do not have the
hardware or connection to set up a mailing list on my own, so I would
appreciate a few suggestions for sites willing to provide this service.

Visit the PythonCAD web site for more information about what PythonCAD
does and aims to be:

http://www.pythoncad.org

Come and join me in developing PythonCAD into a world class drafting
program!

Art Haas
deserve neither liberty nor safety.
 -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759