[PyKDE] Compiling PyQt on Debian

Jan Ekholm chakie at infa.abo.fi
Wed Mar 26 07:27:01 GMT 2003

Hi,

I've spent quite a few hours trying to compile the newest PyQt on a Debian
tetsing system, but with no luck so far. I installed the newset version of
"sip" from source, as the Debian version did nothing useful. To configure
I use the following:

	% python2.2 build.py -i /usr/include/qt3 -q /usr/ -l qt-mt

which seems to find all headers, modules and successfully checks for all
optional Qt modules. It also creates the Makefiles and C++ sources ok, at
least with no visible errors.

However, compiling gives this:

% make
cd qt && /usr/bin/make -f Makefile
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/PyQt-x11-gpl-3.5/qt'
g++ -c -pipe -w -O2 -D_REENTRANT -fPIC  -DSIP_MAKE_MODULE_DLL
-DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -I/usr//share/qt3/mkspecs/default -I.
-I. -I../../../include/python2.2 -I../../../include/qt3 -I/usr//include -o
qtcmodule.o qtcmodule.cpp

In file included from sipqtQCDEStyle.h:31,
                 from qtcmodule.cpp:42:
sipqtQMotifStyle.h:52: parse error before `{'
sipqtQMotifStyle.h:55: destructors must be member functions
sipqtQMotifStyle.h:59: non-member function `property(const char *)' cannot
have `const' method qualifier
sipqtQMotifStyle.h:66: non-member function
`stylePixmap(QStyle::StylePixmap, const QWidget *, const QStyleOption &)'
cannot have `const' method qualifier
sipqtQMotifStyle.h:67: non-member function `styleHint(QStyle::StyleHint,
const QWidget *, const QStyleOption &, QStyleHintReturn *)' cannot have
`const' method qualifier
sipqtQMotifStyle.h:68: non-member function
`sizeFromContents(QStyle::ContentsType, const QWidget *, const QSize &,
const QStyleOption &)' cannot have `const' method qualifier
sipqtQMotifStyle.h:69: non-member function
`pixelMetric(QStyle::PixelMetric, const QWidget *)' cannot have `const'
method qualifier

... and a *lot* more of the same.

Anyone managed to compile on Debian? I also couldn't find any packages for
PyQt. However, I'd rather compile manually than have some obscure package
that isn't kept up to date. Those unmaintained packages have a tendency to
get some dependency conflict and get removed when you need them most. :)

I've so far relied on some package from somewhere, but it got removed, and
now I'm stuck with a lot of important homegrown software I can't use. I'd
rather not rewrite it all in C++, although it would probably be less
hassle in the long run.

Any hints? Anyone? Please?

Kind regards,
    Jan Ekholm

--
     "I name you... Esmeralda Margaret Note Spelling of Lancre!"
                                      -- Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum