[PyKDE] Python based GIS application

Phil Thompson phil at river-bank.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 20 17:27:00 GMT 2003

On Thursday 20 March 2003 3:54 pm, Eron Lloyd wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've been looking into working on a desktop GIS application, and not being
> quite brave enough to learn C++, was pondering using PyQt instead. Do you
> think this would be feasible enough, due to the enourmous graphical
> processing demands necessary for geospatial imaging? Also, what is the
> general consensus on providing some kind of functionality in a PyQt
> application similar to Qt Script?

If you are talking about doing a lot of computation in Python (irrespective of
PyQt) then you need to do some simple benchmarks/tests to see if the
performance is likely to be acceptable on your platform. Also ask the
question on the Python mailing list.

I'd certainly look out for existing libraries that do something similar to
what you want. Especially if they already have Python interfaces or are
implemented in C++. You could create Python bindings yourself for an existing
C++ library using SIP quite easily.

Your worse case is that there is nothing out there suitable and Python is too
slow. In that case I would implement a simple C++ class library containing
only the computationaly intensive stuff and create Python bindings for it.
Then do the rest of your application in PyQt.

I don't plan on implementing an interface to Qt Script itself. It has been in
the back of my mind for a while to implement some C++ classes that provide a
QObject based API to instances of the Python interpreter. You would then be
able to execute a Python script by connecting, say, the QAction.activate()
signal to QextPythonScript.execute() slot. I've already done this once as
part of VeePee.