[PyKDE] Problem building PyQt, QScintilla, and eric

Gerard Vermeulen gvermeul at grenoble.cnrs.fr
Wed Mar 12 19:52:01 GMT 2003

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 10:27:51AM -0800, Greg Fortune wrote:

> > Or use the -c flag, then you only need to get a coffee.
>
> he he, I'm on a PIII 550 so compiling anything takes a little while :)
>
> What does it do?  If there is no disadvantage to using -c, could you include
> that flag by default?

It concatenates all sip generated C++ files into a single file. So in the
end all header files get parsed once, instead of many times.

Some compilers (gcc-2.96) are memory hungry and will start swapping if
you use the -c switch (this is also more likely to happen if you have
compile Qt with -O3 or more). If the compiler starts swapping to disk
you can stay in bed the next day :-)

Gerard