[PyKDE] Re: IOSlaves in Python?

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Sun Jun 29 00:14:01 BST 2003

It's bad form to reply to one's own messages, I know, but I've made some
progress and the topic is still warm...

> On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 18:35:19, David Boddie wrote:

> On Thursday 26 June 2003 23:19, Jim Bublitz wrote:

> > There are a couple of tutorials at:
> >
> > http://www.heise.de/ct/english/01/05/242/
> > http://developer.kde.org/documentation/design/kde/ioslaves/framework.html
> > http://developer.kde.org/documentation/design/kde/ioslaves/introduction.h
> >tml
>
> Yes, I'd seen these. They appeared to be aimed at the developer who will be
> using rather than developing IOSlaves.

The c't tutorial actually turned out to be quite useful in the end, although
I haven't really found a definitive reference on the subject.

> Thanks for the tips. There appears to be a tool for testing IOSlaves in
> kdelibs/kio/tests/ directory which I'll look at. It'll be easier than using
> Konqueror to test with.
>
> Initial results with kioslavetest indicate that I can return the MIME type
> and some basic text in response to a "get" operation. I wonder what else
> Konqueror is expecting that I can't see at the moment.

I'm not sure what exactly I did to get through to Konqueror but I can now
browse an imaginary directory structure stored in a hierarchical list in my
SlaveBase subclass.

I'll try implementing a reasonable example IOSlave which provides all the
main operations (get, put, copy, etc.) before doing anything really serious.

I'd like to distribute this initial IOSlave as an example but it'll need to
be configured using autoconf or DistUtils. I once used some sort of KDE
project template builder to generate configuration files for a project; can
anyone point me in the direction of this tool or even tell me where I'm likely
to find it?!

David