[PyKDE] Distributing PyKDE programs => ./configure

Gerard Vermeulen gvermeul at grenoble.cnrs.fr
Mon Jun 23 08:37:00 BST 2003

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 22:40:57 +0200
Simon Edwards <simon at simonzone.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Anyone have any experiance with distributing PyKDE programs? I thinking mostly
> about installation of things like images/icons and extra datafiles that the
> program might use, and that need to be installed under the KDE installation
> dir tree. C++ stuff uses "configure, make, make install", does anything
> equivalent exist for Python KDE programs?
>
> I'm aware of distutils, but it doesn't really cover KDE stuff. I could use
> distutils but I think that I would have to extend it a fair bit and at the
> same time not use much of its default functionality.

I admit that there is a learning curve before you can specialize distutils
for special needs, but it is perfectly possible (I am using distutils for
PyQwt -- a PyQt based Python extension for Qwt).

If you use it correctly, you do not have to worry about RPMs (or Windows
binary installers) anymore, because distutils does that for you.

If your only problem is to place images/icons/datafiles in specialized
directories: this is very easy with distutils (I use it to put my docs in
/usr/share/doc/PyQwt-x.x). In fact the default install-data command lets
you install stuff anywhere on your system without any hacking.

Gerard