[PyKDE] pyQt on windows

Vio vmilitaru at sympatico.ca
Wed Jul 30 15:23:01 BST 2003

QTextEdit.
Now, keep in mind that I'm kind'a new on the PyQt scene. And I don't use
Qt's network or db classes either, just the UI stuff. But anyways, my
little code "essay" of last weekend was all essentially based on
QTextEdit. Nowhere to be found on the free-QtWin install (now,
installing on Win, that was a joy, as opposed to looong compiles on
Linux). So I did replace it with QTextBrowser (I don't know if it was
the right choice), as well as a few other edits: commented out
'QAction.setAccel()' as I recall, also I couldn't set cursors as in 3.x,
and a few other annoying edits. In the end, yes I managed to make my
code run, I mean, no showstoppers but still crippled. But somehow I
couldn't find the nice "feeling" and look I have on Linux. I figured
it's because of the 2.0 to 3.0 evolution. So it's the little things: now
I remember I couldn't set icons on my Tab widgets. And I had some
problems with QTables, but I forgot details.

So maybe on the 'fundamental functionality' you are right, one can live
with Qt 2.0, I don't know 2.0 that well anyway to make a good opinion.
But we're talking about UI here, where it's all the little things than
count. Well, for me the difference seemed huge, and if I had the dow,
sure I'd get me the latest Qt for Win ... provided that was my preferred
platform to 'romance the snake'.

Cheers,
Vio