[PyKDE] Deploying PyQt Applications

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk
Mon Jul 21 20:25:01 BST 2003

On Monday 21 July 2003 7:08 pm, Peter Kropf wrote:
> Phil -
>
> I've a couple of quick questions. This document seems to imply that you
> feel sending .so/.dll's with a product built on PyQt would not be a very
> good thing. Is that true?

I've got no view on whether shipping .so/.dll's is a good idea or not,
although the Installer documentation says that (if you use upx) you will get
smaller applications if you link as much as possible in with the interpreter.

I do think it's a good idea to link in the SIP and PyQt modules with the
Python interpreter because it makes it that much more difficult for your user
to break the rules and use your application as a PyQt development tool.

> Also, if the libraries are linked into the final
> executable, is there really a need for the --onefile option to Installer?
> I'm not certain I understand why --onefile is needed.

You are right - it isn't needed. I just like the idea of reducing everything
down to a single file.