[PyKDE] PyQT 3.7 compilation problem

Bill Mill llimllib at f2o.org
Sat Jul 19 20:25:01 BST 2003

Hello,

I'm having trouble compiling PyQT on my machine. I'm working from a nearly
default install of Red Hat 9, on which I've had no previous trouble
installing PyQT. However, I just reinstalled the OS, and I can't get
it working.

sip builds and installs just fine, it seems to me. As well, the build.py
script for pyqt finds sip ok. "sip -V" from the command line outputs: 3.7
(build 102). However, after going through quite a lot of compiling, make
(for pyqt 3.7) gives the following error (sorry for the length, I didn't want
to snip it in case it had anything of value):

g++ -shared -Wl,-soname,libqtcmodule.so.1 -o libqtcmodule.so.1.0.0 qtcmodule.o
sipqtQWorkspace.o sipqtQWMatrix.o sipqtQWizard.o sipqtQWidgetStack.o
sipqtQWidgetList.o sipqtQWhatsThis.o sipqtQWaitCondition.o sipqtQVGroupBox.o
[snip about 30 lines of sipqtQ*.o files]
sipqtQBitmap.o sipqtQPixmap.o sipqtQPaintDevice.o sipqtQPen.o sipqtQt.o
moc_sipqtProxyqt.o  -L/usr/lib/qt-3.1/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lqassistantclient
-L/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages -lsip -lqt-mt -lXext -lX11 -lm -lpthread
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lsip
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libqtcmodule.so.1.0.0] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/bill/download/PyQt-x11-gpl-3.7/qt'
make: *** [sub-qt] Error 2

I have run ldconfig, that doesn't help at all. In
/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages the files libsip.so.10, libsip.so.10.1 and
libsip.so.10.1.0 all exist, with the first two linked to the last one.
Previously, on this same OS/computer combination, this worked without any
tweaking. The last install I did was probably about a month ago (same hd, but
I formatted it last night).

If you have any ideas or further questions, they would be much appreciated.

Peace
Bill Mill
llimllib at f2o.org