[PyKDE] Error when loading libqtc for PyQt3.7

Ricardo Javier Cardenes Medina rcardenes at debian.org
Fri Jul 11 19:34:01 BST 2003

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 11:33:48AM -0500, Frederick Polgardy Jr wrote:
> In the Debian universe, what do you think of the idea of having some
> sort of metapackage for each set (or group of metapkgs, taking python
> versions, etc. into account)?  Or is it already too complicated? :)

I'm not going to do that. sip+QScintilla+PyQt packages for Debian have
yet they're own deal of complexity to do that. The real problem is that
I've never uploaded PyKDE before, and so, when I update sip/PyQt on my
repository, the old PyKDE version's dependencies dissapear, so I have no
choice but to delete them.

I'll upload PyKDE after next release (3.7? 3.8? whatever ;). Then, I'll
wait until the whole thing (sip,QScintilla,PyQt,PyKDE) enters Sarge
before uploading any other upgrade. Then, you'll have a place where you
positively know that PyKDE (and dependencies) will forever be available.

In the mean time, of course, I can upload old sources (sip/PyQt 3.5) and
my current PyKDE packages to people.debian.org, if you want to get them.

Of course, you have also http://snaphost.debian.org, where you can find
daily snapshots of Debian archives if you need to find anything that has
been there the last few months (eg: sip/PyQt 3.5, QScintilla 0.3), and
download them, then mark the packages as "hold" :-), so your
apt-get -y dist-upgrade doesn't messes with your sip/PyQt/PyKDE
installment.

Of course (again) this won't work forever... as it will hold new Qt and
KDE versions too, to not break the hold things.

As you can see, the only thing we can do and still stay sane, is to
maintain "unofficial" releases. And, of course, those are all only
patches. Finding a way to help Jim to get PyKDE up to date is the right
way to go.